Don’t Be A Damsel In Distress
Posted: July 23, 2019
"Happiness is the ability to make your own porridge." -Momma Bear
I trust this blog finds you well.
We are halfway through the summer.
Where does the time go?
Are you getting the results that you expected from your training?
I am certain that if you are putting in the time and effort, you are experiencing tremendous benefits.
Do you know of a single physical education program that compares to the Martial Arts?
I do not.
If you do, please let me know.
I would like to remind you of a few simple, but effective concepts, to help you get more from your training.
The Key 3 - This is a direct reference to your feet, hands, and eyes.
1. The correct position of your feet
2. The correct placement of your hands
3. The correct projection of your eyes
By doing so, your technique will improve significantly.
Targeting and Timing:
1. Always do your best to get your weapon (hand, foot, elbow, knee, etc.) to the correct target. Be accurate, always trying to "connect the dots."
2. Make sure to count (Kiai) and breathe at the correct time. When striking, count at the point that impact would take place. Your count (exhale) takes place at the action of exertion.
Better Targeting and Timing equals better technique.
A.I.M. - This acronym stands for Accuracy, Intention, and Mindfulness:
A • Be as Accurate as possible. This includes your alignment, mechanics, and targeting.
B • Make sure your Intention is clear. If your Intention is definite, your attention will go where it is needed. Intention is the key to focus.
C • Being Mindful is the best way to enhance your training. The moment you become Mindful, you begin to learn what cannot be taught.
I am certain that these suggestions will assist you in achieving your goals.
Let me know if you have any questions, and I will do my best to provide answers.
I look forward to seeing you and your family in class at the Dojo.
Kyoshi Thomas Clifford